SEWING PATTERN AND INSTRUCTION
Note, photo on right: Elastic substitute, polar fleece
Fabric – The materials can be cotton or cotton blend. Inner layer should ideally be a lighter color than the outside. Outer layer can be decorative or of a darker color than the inside. It’s important to be able to tell the inside from the outside of the mask easily. Bedsheets are a common fabric and suitable for the sewing this pattern.
Note light color on inside.
Note contrasting decorative fabric which indicates outside of mask.
Elastic – 1/4” or narrower, if you have it. Try searching “elastic” on eBay
- With right sides together, sew the curved center seam. Repeat this step for both the outer and inner fabric.
- Lay top layer right side uppermost on a surface. Place an 11” elastic to top corners with ends slightly extended from the sides. Place inner layer with WRONG side uppermost over top layer. Pin in place.
- Sew down the sides, securing the elastic. Sew the top. Sew the middle of the bottom, catching in the center seams.
- Sew from the bottom center to one side. This will leave a 2” opening on the bottom
- Turn mask inside out and sew opening closed and edge stitch around entire mask.
- Fold a pleat on each side and insert 9-1/2” elastic. Sew to secure.